11/16/2009 10:55:00 PM

Mehcad Brooks on gay marriage & being a sex symbol.

Posted by SouthernGurl


True Blood star Mehcad Brooks (according to Essence, Mehcad’s mother derived his name from the ancient Ethiopian word meaning “prophet” or “wise one.” Mehcad says: “Little did she know that I’d make a profit off being a wise ass.”) recently opened up to Honey magazine about everything from his reluctance to being a sex symbol, why he won't get married until gays gain the right to marry and why he chooses to focus on his career instead of focusing on finding a wife.
MEHCAD ON GAY RIGHTS & WHY HE WON'T MARRY UNTIL THEY CAN: "I haven’t even gotten that far (thinking about settling down). But yeah, I want a wife, I want kids. The whole thing. But I’m also not even concerned with marrying somebody until it’s legal for everybody to get married. And what I mean by that is the whole Prop 8 thing. I find it really offensive. I just find it really problematic when you start throwing people’s rights away. Until we get our gay brothers and sisters back into a realm of consciousness that everyone else is in, it’s just not right. A woman who’s getting married — it’s probably going to be a gay man who made her dress, and a gay man who’s doing her hair and makeup, but he can’t get married. How messed up is that?"

MEHCAD ON BEING A SEX SYMBOL: “I mean, it’s just a strange thing to claim. I can own the fact that I’m a good actor, because I work really hard at it. I can own the fact that I’m athletic because I work really hard at it. I can own the fact that I have a lot of stamina and I have lot of strength because I work really hard at that. But one person may find me sexy, and another might not find me sexy. That’s all subjective, an opinion. I can’t go around proclaiming that I know other people’s opinions about me. Plus, I see myself everyday, and I see everything that’s wrong. I don’t see everything that’s right, most of the time. It’s all relative. Sometimes I’m running and working out and sometimes I’m just trying to chill, stomach hanging out, chilling. The thing is I don’t really consider myself a sex symbol, because I don’t find myself sexy.”
In the interview, Mehcad also revealed that he loves women. He finds a lot of women very nurturing and good listeners. And the reason why it was really easy for him to end simply going into one relationship after another is because he has a lot of female friends. And lately, he’s been trying to focus on his career and finding the right woman is not his paramount concern right now. He says, “I’ve been trying to focus on other things, like on my career. And just focus on who I am as a human being without being wrapped up in relationships. Finding the one is not my top priority right now.”
MEHCAD'S IDEAL WOMAN: “I really like an attentive listener. And support. And a woman who has her own, who can support herself and feel secure in her own skin. I complement her and she complements me.”
Look for Mehcad on the the big screen in the upcoming Fence Walker and Just Wright, which stars Queen Latifah.
......

0 COMMENTS:

Related Posts with Thumbnails