9/12/2010 02:20:00 AM

Lamman opens up about brother's death, monogamy & relationships.

Posted by SouthernGurl

As a big fan (however, not as big a fan as FamuDiva!) of Lamman Rucker's, I have read many, many interviews about him, including q-and-a interviews and the interviewers always seem to ask him the same things over and over again. So imagine my surprise when I flipped opened a Sister 2 Sister magazine (September issue) and finally read a Lamman Rucker interview where he shared some of the most intimate details about his life. Details I never knew about. I know! I was shocked too!

Lamman sat down with Jamie Foster Brown of Sister 2 Sister and gave an in-depth interview on how he dealt with the pain and anger of losing his baby brother to gun violence in the streets of Pittsburgh back in 1992. And of course no Lamman Rucker interview would be complete without him giving his two cents on us females and what he expects from his significant other. After reading his interview, I swear I found a new respect for this man. I might have to reinstate my crush on him. That's a big might. For those who don't know (or don't read my Lamman posts on the regular) I had to cancel my crush on dude a few years ago after I had a dream about him...and in that dream he didn't even want me. Yeah, I know when I'm not wanted. LOL! Nah, but seriously, Lamman ain't playing when it comes to knowing exactly what he wants in a woman.

Anywhoo, check out his interview excerpts below.
LAMMAN ON HIS BROTHER'S DEATH: 'My brother was killed in 1992. I think about [him] everyday. He was 19. His name is Chanu Rucker. He was very, very talented--incredible football player. There's no reason why to this day he wouldn't be playing on Sundays. Luckily he's got a beautiful little girl who's doing very well. She's in college right now. It hurts my heart all the time to think about all the things that he didn't even have the opportunity to become. The guy that we think was responsible for his murder was also murdered. So it's just a dumbass ridiculous cycle. In a distorted kind of way there are certain times I've almost felt like he was one of the best things that could have happened to me, personally, selfishly. Now, it's a huge loss to me and my family. I talk about him and think of him all the time and I can't just begin to articulate how much I miss him. I also know of the choices that I had at the time. And trust me, I consider one of them in particular, which was dropping everything I was doing. I was in school at the time, just hunting the streets, and I almost found myself in the life that he was in. I honestly was almost in a place where I could have very easily just gone downhill from there. I had to realize "Why would you do that when that's exactly where we lost him?" And I understood, even though it was unfair that there was a lot more expected of me because now I'm the only boy left. And then I thought about my sister. My father moved away. Now, my brother's gone. Now, I;m going to put my mother and my sister in a position for me to be gone too? It just didn't make any sense to put my family through that.

Sometimes I'm afraid that if my brother had still been here...There's a couple of men that, to this day are alive only because my brother is dead, because I would have definitely taken the altercation to a whole 'nother level. And it would have been a tragic end for at least one of us, most likely them, had I not had the self-control to say, "You know what? Let me chill. Let me back up off of this" [because] his had no idea how close he got to be being ripped from this planet. But I'm just going to just go on my way because I got a bigger fish to fry. I got goals. I got a family to make proud of me. I got a God that's looking after me. So I just felt like I listened to my spirit. I didn't let these little macho games and all that kind of stuff overpower me. I listened to the good voices, not the evil voices.'

LAMMAN ON HIS STANDARDS FOR WOMEN: 'My standards for a woman are very high. That means if you step this way, you better come correct because if you can't have an intelligent conversation, if you don't have any self-esteem, I'm going to come off like I'm a wolf or I'm arrogant and you ain't going to be able to keep up. What I need to know is if you can really handle it. If you can really really handle it or if I know you're working on learning how to cope with it, alright, cool. I'm going to give it to you. But if you can't handle it, you're not encouraging me to be with honest with you.'

LAMMAN TALKS MONOGAMY, CHEATING AND JILL SCOTT. CLICK THE RED LINK BELOW TO READ MORE EXCERPTS!




LAMMAN ON (MAKING TIME FOR) SERIOUS RELATIONSHIPS & MONOGAMY: 'It is a challenge with this kind of lifestyle and the non-traditional hours. A woman might be used to calling you on her lunch break. I'm not available on your lunch break, so ain't no, "Hey, let's get together." Now, there's going to be some days when, yes, I might not even have to worry about going to work, so I can come kick it for the whole month. Now, for the next six months, we might not see much of each other because I'm working on a film or I'm over here doing a play. So for a lot of women, they've got to de-program themselves with, "You're still important, but this other stuff is also important." But a lot of women feel like, "No, you make time for the things that you really want." My family is important to me. I'm important to me. I might take some days just for me. I'd love to see you, but I'm also committed to being out there in the community and uplifting other people. So either come on in, get in the struggle with me, or observed and understand what I'm doing. But it's really tough that a lot of women don't understand right. Just because they're important doesn't mean they're always going to be the number one priority, especially at that time. But roll with me, fly beside me, work with me, even maybe do some of this work with me. You know, understand who I am and that all these things are also important in addition to you. A lot of women don't really trust that. They just think, "Oh, he must not really like me because he's not with me every time he has some free time."

[But] if we're just dating, hey let's keep it real. Just because I might really like you and really be into you, you might not be the only woman that I really like and might really be into.'

LAMMAN ON THE SAYING 'ALL MEN CHEAT': 'But how many women are writing books that say women are just as trifling? Because every man man that you talk to will probably tell you about a woman that he's been involved with that was with somebody else. But we're always called the dogs and women are always playing victim. I'm sick of that. Some men definitely have to be accountable for that because some of that is true, but there are a lot of women that are just as bad, just as deceitful, just as trifling.

I've been able to be pretty disciplined. And then there's a couple of times, I admit, I haven't been quite that disciplined. But I've also learned to make sure that I don't make commitments that I can't keep. So no matter how much I might really be into her, if I know that, being honest, maybe I'm interested in somebody else. You just expect me to drop everything and be all about you. You're reading too many romance novels. Over time, as we get to know each other, then it's going to be up to me to decide whether I stop seeing somebody else and go like, "You know what? I think I really do like this one."'

LAMMAN ON HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH JILL SCOTT: 'Everybody will say that [we go together]. I think people really wanted us to be together. They saw the chemistry and saw how wonderful the story was in the show. I love her to death and we're cool, good friends. You know how it is when you like two people? You kind of want the same magic to happen between them.'

22 COMMENTS:

MiaMour said...

Awwww Lamman!

Mina said...

Loved the excerpts. Lamman is a true gentlemen and you never hear anything bad about him.

Where's FAMU Diva? She might meet some of his requirements!

Oshyn said...

@ Mina. Don't worry I'm sure FDiva will find her way here soon enough! LOL! SGurl was supposed to post this Lamman story LAST week!! *slaps Sgurl up side her head* LOL

Lammani said...

I have searched the Internet high and low and I swear your two sites are the only two websites I have found that has the most Lamman Rucker pictures! I have seen so many different photos of him its crazy. Where do you get them all from?! There are more photos on your site than there are on his official site! Have you ever thought about doing it a Lamman Rucker fan site? If so I would so support it. Keep up the good work.

Morquita said...

Hey Lamman, I read your request for a woman. I to have standards set. I am a huge fan and have a"Super Crush" on you. I would love to chat a little more with you! Whenever your free, just inform me and I will send you my e-mail address. Thank U Much, Morquita

Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw your new movie N-Secure, it is a gold film even though I laughed at the trailer when I first saw the commercial....N-Secure is really a good movie.....

You all should check it out.....Lamman is yummy!!!!!M

Anonymous said...

I meant...N-Secure is a good film........

Anonymous said...

I used to think that your were just a gentle giant. That you really knew how to appreciate a woman. But now I just think your'e an ass and full of yourself!!

P.S. I guess that makes you a great actor!

Cliffonya said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Lamman Rucker on my Birthday at the Event: First Fridays. I asked him to take a picture with me, and he did. He joked around with me before taking the picture, which I thought was very gentle. He acted like a person, not just someone famous!!! I really appreciated that!!! May God bless you throughout your career!!

Shomari said...

Wow that open my eyes, "real talk"!
I lost my brother 92 from a heart attack playing b-ball fell die instantly @ 18 yrs old. I fell your pain even though he was not killed very painfull!
This guy I've been seeing is loop warm and now i see why after reading you story THX!
Wish i can meet someone that will just "Keep It Real", the women could make an honest decision to kick it, or walk away!

Shomari

indiastorm said...

For the person who called Lamman an ass, that wasn't called for. You think the man is an ass and full of himself because he was being real? You're the ass. I can respect a man who is upfront and honest. You know what you're getting into. Either play the game to win it or don't play at all.

Tina said...

On the topic of "us females"...I'm not a "female". I am a woman. A dog can be "female". A bird can be female. None can be women because they're not human beings.

That's what sets us apart. Referring to yourself as a "female" is using the most base, low, and clinical term you can use to refer to a Black woman. You are a WOMAN.

Ariona Taylor said...

Lamman doesn't read these comments. As a matter of fact the only reason I'm on here is to kill time while Lamman brush my pubic hair from his teeth!

Anonymous said...

Lamman, Hi my name is Charlette Smith and i am from a small, beautiful country called Belize City and i just wonna say that it would mean the world to me if you can come to my country and say hi to me.. I have you pictures as my wallpictures on my computer. Keep up the great working your doing. I love it.

Love.Peace.Joi. said...

Uh... he sounds stuck up. He deserves a conceited basketball wife. He wouldn't recognize a good woman. Yuck! I'm disappointed :(

Unknown said...

I truly believe that all men
Have had someone in their life who has hurt them..in one one way another..a first love..his mother.. something.. or someone had caused them to put up that wall..and oneday when he is certain of the one who can break the barrier?..he will then let go and trust and love again..its OK to search..its OK to take your time..he is not married..he can do him as long as it takes..he will meet that woman who make him say damn!
I think he is gorgeous ..love them dimples..dont knock the confidence ..its
Attractive..some men just like a nice body or just a cute face..there is more to a great woman than that.

Anonymous said...

This guy, Lamman, is feeling himself way too damn much! Arrogant and conceited! No ma'am, I'll pass...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Rucker, my daughter dances for your sister in the Daughters of Zion Emblem. My daughter says your sister always talks about you. Congratulations on your success. God bless you always.

Unknown said...

Good piece of insight lamman, keep it up...

Unknown said...

Good piece of insight lamman, keep it up...

Unknown said...

Lammar so sorry for the lose of your baby brother.

Tamicko MurrayMcIver said...

Sorry for the lose of your baby brother... Much love and respect.

Related Posts with Thumbnails