7/01/2010 10:06:00 PM

In Memory of Luther Vandross (April 20, 1951 - July 1, 2005)

Posted by SouthernGurl

Thursday, July 1st marked the fifth anniversary of the death of Luther Vandross at the age of 54 from a heart attack after suffering a massive stroke in 2003.

I loved me some Luther. I remember when I was younger I wanted him to be my uncle. I think one of the reasons I loved and admired him so much was because my parents use to play his music ALL THE TIME when I was a kid; especially at their house parties. One of the first Luther songs I ever heard and learned verbatim was Bad Boy/Having a Party. I think it was one of their favorites too because they'd play that song 4 or 5 times during their parties and I'd be in my room (because I was too young to be partying with the grown folk) dancing my ass off. It wasn't until they were clearing everyone out of the house that I was allowed to come out of my room and really jam to the song like I wanted too.

But to this day I don't have a favorite Luther Vandross song (same goes for Michael) because he had just too many. I can't even begin to tell anyone what my favorite Luther Vandross song is because there is no such thing as far as I'm concerned.

Needless to say, I was sad as hell when I learned of his passing. My mother was too...considering the fact that my father has just passed from cancer 5 months before. I watched Luther's funeral online and boo hoo'd the entire time. And I still cry when I listen to certain songs; specifically Dance With My Father. With singers like Luther, Jackie, Marvin, Michael and Teddy P. gone, I can only imagine the "sweet sounds coming down on the nightshift."

I hope singers like El DeBarge continue to take care of themselves so that we can continue to enjoy their voices while they're still here.

0 COMMENTS:

Related Posts with Thumbnails