1/12/2010 02:53:00 AM

'Madea's Big Happy Family' cast, synopsis and reveiws.

Posted by SouthernGurl

Tyler Perry kicked off his latest tour Madea's Big Happy Family last week in El Paso, Texas and will run through May. And after reading fans' comments on Tyler's Facebook page, the play is a instant hit! A lot of readers have been asking me what the play is about and who else stars is in it. For a while I couldn't find anything...until today. I can now tell you Cassi Davis (who plays Aunt Ella on House of Payne), Palmer Williams Jr. (who plays Floyd on House of Payne), singer Cheryl Pepsi Riley, Chandra Currelley, Tamar Davis and Donnie Sykes (he also starred in Tyler's stage play The Marriage Counselor) all star alongside Tyler, who of course plays Madea. Tyler also cast a couple of guys he found on Youtube (and I am too lazy to look their names up). I know, I know, I know. Some of yall may be wondering, 'Where's the eye candy?' The hell if I know! I'm wondering too!

Here's the play's synopsis (may include spoilers so read at your own discretion):
The family matriarch, Shirley, has experienced a recurrence of her unnamed cancer and the muscular, hunky doc gives her four- to six-weeks to live. She tries to convene the family - including her three warring daughters, two struggling sons and a crack-addled brother - to break the news. But they are so busy bickering and worrying about their own agendas - one's a real estate agent in overdrive, another a frumpy "old maid" at 32, another resorts to selling drugs to please his brand-name addicted girlfriend - that mom can't get a word in edgewise. When the family finally finds out her fate, it's too late to clean up their acts.

After Shirley's death, depicted in a lengthy scene that features one of the show's most inspirational songs (performed by actress Chandra Currelley as Shirley) and a hokey video showing her ascension into a cloud-filled heaven, it's up to Madea to set things straight, which she does with typically no-nonsense clarity and a lot of nostalgia for '70s R&B music.
I also found the following review written by Doug Pullen (of the El Paso Times) from Tyler's opening night and it had me hollering out loud in laughter. He said:
The key, of course, is Perry himself. He's literally a big, towering presence onstage, something his fans have been missing for half a decade now, and it's obvious who's in charge from all the self-inflicted humor. He manages to direct the play while onstage, fully acknowledging the performance's occasionally unpolished, dress rehearsal quality of the some moments in an otherwise inspired performance. The tall, 40-year-old, funny and religious Perry - who infuses a strong dose of old-time religion into his narrative - also paused the show to tie back a curtain so the audience on far stage right could see better, picked on cast members for rushing scenes or missing lines, not delivering a line with enough conviction, and, apparently, eating Doritos when off stage.

He often kept the audience, cast members and himself in stitches over his occasional interruption - in character, no less - for self-deprecating remarks about his own inability to remember his lines and his desire to "pop, pop, pop" a gum-chewing fan in the front row who was distracting him.
Now can you just picture Tyler in his Madea costume doing all of that? You can check Tyler's official website TylerPerry.com to see if your city (or a city near you) has been added to the tour. But remember to keep checking though because he's adds new cities periodically. My only problem is trying to decide if I want to attend a Jacksonville show or wait (hope and pray) to see if he adds Tallahassee to the list.
......

14 COMMENTS:

Sophia Petrillo said...

Hold the HELL UP! Where the fine men at?! Terrell? Mike Storm? The Rastafarian ni**ah with the dreads? Does Christian thank he too "Hollywood" to be in a Tyler Perry play? Floyd? He funny but fine he ain't!
I'on know bout this play. I might support it just on the strength of seeing Madea and her craziness but it's gon be hard as hell trying to watch this play without being able to look at any fine men on the stage!

YoBigSis said...

Okay Lil sis. Great Post. But, you know YoBigSis ain't waiting to see if Tally is going to be added to the tour. I will be in Albany, GA ( a tid bit closer than J'ville, you know) on Feb. 23rd, Floor seating, 5th Row, front and center......yes ma'am...got to be there. I loves me a Tyler Perry play "Live"...If you haven't experienced a Play Live...you ain't experienced it fully! Love ya lil sis and yout to, TP.

affrodite said...

Thank you for finding and posting cast info and a synopsis. I don't know why it's still so hard to find on the internet. Even Tyler Perry doesn't say much on his own website. I have linked back to you in my post. This is my first visit, but I like your blog!

Anonymous said...

Just a minor correction, Stephanie Farrett and D'Atra Hicks are not members of the cast for "Madea's Big Happy Family." They were, however, in the stage play "Laugh to Keep From Crying."

Anonymous said...

Quan Hodges.... THATS the fine man in the play. He is the Doctor and he can operate on me ANYTIME!

Anonymous said...

For the record, it's not William Palmer Jr., it's Palmer Williams Jr.. I hope I can get my family to the show this year. God knows my kids want to see it.

Anonymous said...

OK...can someone PLEASE find out the names of the two guys that sang in the play??? i went to the play and couldn't catch the names at the end when they were introducing them

Admin said...

^^My sister went to the play. I'll find out from her and let you know.

BTW, do you know what songs they sung in the play?

Anonymous said...

One of them sang a lenny williams song and i forgot what the other one sang, but both of them were incredible, it's the only two young guys in the play

Love&Laughter said...

The two young guys singing in the play go by the name CraigLewis and you can find them on youtube. One's name is Zuri Craig and the other is Jeffery Lewis - they were sooo amazing I had to find out as soon as the play was over!

Admin said...

^^Thank you SO MUCH, mily!! You beat me to it. LOL! So many folks were wondering and now because of you, they don't have to anymore! LOL! I'm still waiting for Tyler to add my city to his tour so I can see what all the fuss is about with these two guys.

Unknown said...

I know I'm late, but this play was incredible, just seen the opening night for it here in Chicago. TP went off on latecomers even going as far as having his Madea character pull out her 'gun' on an audience member which had everyone rollin, and he was so down to earth. He went so far off the script that he started talking about mortgages lol. Truly a great play, Always unique and yet always meaningful, thoughtful, and leaves you feeling more good about life no matter what you're going through. A MUST SEE!

Anonymous said...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! This comment will contain information about content within the play. The play was very entertaining however, I was bothered by many of the audiences' reactions pertaining to the 12 yr old sex subject & Mr. Perry's irresponsibility to it. I will give it to him, he set it up perfectly, & the disgusted reactions from many audience members supported it. It was assumed (before the real reason was presented) that this 12 yr old was just trifling & fast. 12 yr olds are not born fast or trifling they are raised that way, & any intelligent person knows this. Mr. Perry played well in the minds of the ignorant and missed a very teachable moment. My problem is that he didn't try to educate those who thought this way. I realize that he wanted this reaction from those whose thinking is such but, to leave them in ignorance is irresponsible. Or could it be that he doesn't know this himself? Show me a child 15 or younger pregnant (excluding rape) & I'll show you bad parenting.

Anonymous said...

I believe Tyler Perry meant well when he made that statement, he has done well by our communities and he has gotten people through plenty of tough times and heart breaks so what you need to do is focus on the good and not the bad. I wish folks would take time out and find the positive in people, so quick to point out the negatives. Thankyou Tyler Perry for all your hard work, as well as the cast and crew.

Related Posts with Thumbnails