3/10/2010 07:18:00 PM

El DeBarge on his drug abuse & his comeback.

Posted by SouthernGurl


(El DeBarge performing at the Conga Room in Los Angeles last month)

I was surprised as hell when I saw him co-host TVOne's Way Black When last month. I was also happy to see him looking so healthy, handsome and in his right mind. That's a good look, El. Keep it up. And he's wasting no time getting back on his grind after his year and a half incarceration on vandalism, drugs and domestic violence. He talked to EURweb.com about his drug abuse and how God and his family continue to help him in maintaining his sobriety:
“Things are fine right now. My challenges were basically a drug addiction that sat me down for a minute and made me stop writing, and made me not participate in my own self. I got tired of that, I got tired of being stuck on stupid. I went through something, I learned from it and I got a great story to tell. It’s a testimony, it’s not misery anymore....People were reaching out to me. And really, actually it was God. It was a spiritual intervention that took place in me. I just didn’t want to do it anymore and I had to just lay back, go somewhere, take a vacation and just chill and just get my thoughts together – get my will power together because that’s what was missing and that’s where I’m at right now.”
PREACH, ELDRA!

These days, El, is extra-busy. He's working on a new album. Recently, he made an appearance on Brian McKnight's talk show where he talked about the ups and downs of his personal life and professional career. What surprised me the most about this interview was El's reasons for using drugs in the first place. He told Brian:
"I started doing drugs because I chose to do it. It wasn't any pressure from anybody. I just said one day, 'I'm tired of being responsible. I'm tired of being the one to carry the load all the time. What's the cheapest way out of this? What's time out of mind for me?' I needed some kind of cop out. And when I started doing drugs, I didn't realize they were going to catch me like it did. It's nothing to play with. And I knew one day I would have to go to prison...something had to stop me. I just knew it in my spirit. Something told me, 'I'm going to end up going to prison because I can't seem to shake this thing.' But that was God's way of intervening in my life cause that was the worst thing that (going to prison)could have ever happened to me. But it gave me time to get my willpower back. I got my willpower back now. I feel brand new."
Of his first performance (at the Conga Room in Los Angeles) since being release from jail, El admitted that he was scared as hell at what the audience's reaction was going to be. He said,
"I was scared because I saw all of the opening acts that came on before me and people were talking during their acts. But as soon as I hit the stage, you could hear a pin drop. People were looking at my throat! I could see people going, 'Okay, I'm waiting on him to hit a bad note.' I was like, 'Oh, my God! What am I doing up here?!' But by the help of God, I made it through. And then they embraced me and I could feel the love coming from the audience and it gave me so much strength and then I started getting geeked up! I got standing ovations after each song. I was like, 'Wow, this is incredible.'"
He also sang my favorite DeBarge song of all time, Time Will Reveal (Love Me in a Special Way is a close second) and I damn near cried! El wrote the song when he was just 16 years old! I almost forgot how talented this man really is. Let's all remember to give him his props and accolades while he's still here.

How cool would it be to see him (and maybe his family) do a reality show? Hell, if TVOne can give on to LisaRaye, they damn sure can give on to the DeBarge family.
......

12 COMMENTS:

Born Blessed said...

I am so proud of El I can just cry my eyes out. I grew up listening to his music so I was dismayed when he ran into so much trouble. But glory be to God that he is now back on his feet. And damn does he still look good or what????! OMG!

MiaMour said...

OMG He sounds soooooo good! His voice is like pure silk. He must feel blessed beyond belief to still be here. And I agree with SG, lets give this man his props NOW. Singer, musician, song writer, composer. My fave Debarge song is Love Me in a Special Way. Aww man, now I got to go listen to it on youtube! LOL!

Stay strong El. You got a lot of people out here rooting for you---and not against you.

Boss Lady said...

Chico who? LOL! Just playing. But I would love to hear a duet with these two in person. I already know I'll have to wear a pantyliner to protect my Vickie Secrets!!

Butterscotch Babe said...

LMAO @ Boss Lady! I spit juice all over my keyboard!!

ExeSSi said...

Yeah Chico and El need to jump on a duet together. El's falsetto and Chico's tenor? Wow! I don't think they could mess that up even if they tried. *goes to listen to Secret Garden*

I'm Just Saying said...

Southerngirl I think Imma need ya to do a feature on Chico. These chicks in here done got him all in my head and now I can't stop thinking bout him. LOL! What's he up too anyway? I ain't trying to take the focus off of El I just wanna know.

KappaChino said...

El went on drugs just for the hell of it?! What?! Reading that really broke my heart because I never knew. I thought the stress of being second to the Jacksons drove him over the edge. Well the only thing he can do now is to keep looking forward. No need for anyone to dwell on a past you can't change.

FamuDiva said...

I'm starting my humpday at work by listening to my fave Debarge classics. LOL! El can sing his miniature ass off!!

Misty_H0ney said...

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading this. I wish El the very best. It's feels good to see him back to his old self.

mrs.dean-debarge said...

I LOVE El DeBarge!!!! I can't wait to see him live and for his new album. I hope he'll do us all a favor and re-release every DeBarge album and all of his solo albums again. I know its a recession but I'd buy every one. One thing's for sure... El is back and better than everr!!!!

Anonymous said...

Baby, they should have called that the "El DeBarge show! El stole the show! My Man! When he turned around on that piano, all hell broke loose! It's like he was just waiting for his turn to SHINE and Baby, SHINE he did, and he has not stopped since! I have tried to find every performance that I could find since the BET show! El, singing those Love ballads like only he can do! He is supremely talented and you can really tell his gift comes straight from God! I am so proud of him and pray his continuance in his career, and with the Good Lord's help, El will make it! Lifetime Achievement Award, here El comes! God Bless El, Stay cool Dear One!

Frederick Maurice said...

I'm also fond and proud of El. He inspires me even in fashion. Glad that there are lots of discount suits for men that are helping me look better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails