6/27/2010 10:58:00 PM

Chris Brown's touching tribute to Michael Jackson at B.E.T. Awards.

Posted by SouthernGurl

After B.E.T's watered down display of an awards show last year including their sloppy so-called tribute to Michael Jackson, I was not looking forward to watching it this year. When I heard Chris Brown would perform, I was like, 'Hmph! I guess...' Read my Chris Brown archives in this blog and you'll discover that I've given him a hard time and more than a few side-eyes in the past (yeah, I said it), but that lil dude has fought for a year in trying to give homage to his idol Michael Jackson in a special tribute. He was shut out of participating in MJ's memorial service, the MTV, VMAs, Grammy's and BET awards last year and earlier this year. Tonight he was finally able to show us just how much of an influence Michael has had on his career. Needless to say, knowing that he finally had his chance obviously took a toll on him and he got a little emotional. Completely understandable. I'm sure other factors contributed to his breakdown. But when you throw in the first couple of bars to Man In the Mirror that goes, 'I'm gonna make a change/for once in my life....' Then you think about everything he went through in the past year, it just became too much for him. Those words, just those few words can cut deep when you've been through the trials and tribulations Chris has been through. This is a dude who knew he had to change his ways in order for him to become a better person and to win back his career and the respect of his fans and naysayers. He knew he was the only one responsible for how he got to this point in his life and that only he could make it right. Hell, I don't even blame him for crying. I'd break down too. Well, I did cry just a little bit. Not a lot though....just a little, teeny-weeny tiny bit!

So many people (including and especially those in the music industry) turned their backs on him to the point where he was virtually blacklisted. Counted him down and out. Said he could never redeem himself. (I think I was one of those people). I'm sure he probably felt the same downtrodden emotions Michael  felt during the lowest points in his life. Well tonight, C. Breezy had me and others eating our words and I have no problem admitting that. That's why I was a bit taken aback when folks said he messed up his performance by crying or that his breakdown was nothing but a publicity stunt created to invoke sympathy from his doubters. That boy performed from his heart. Those tears weren't contrived. I personally have a new found respect for him. I haven't seen a tribute that touching since Usher's Gone Too Soon performance at Michael's memorial...which also left me in tears.

I think his performance was above and beyond spectacular. If I was a superstitious person, I'd say MJ guided him through that performance last night. As a matter of fact, Chris' performance was my favorite alongside El DeBarge's old school medley (I'll post about that later. Yeah, I'm proud of him too!) Let me find out those two beige brothers were in full effect and blazing the comeback trail this year! LOL!

Anyhoo, tonight, Chris reminded me once again why he's the perfect performer to pay tribute to MJ. In my personal opinion, Chris is not a strong vocalist, however, I enjoyed his performance and to be honest with yall, I'm kinda glad the tears came before he could start singing Man in the Mirror. Chris is a HELL OF A DANCER and performer, but his voice is something I just didn't feel comfortable with subjecting my ears to. I am proud of him though.

And I'll bet dollars to donuts that Michael would be so damn proud of him too.

Oh, and Chris' Billie Jean number would have been much, much better had he swung his hat into the audience like Michael always did. I'm just saying.

So for those of you who missed his performance, check it out below.




(Smooth Criminal gif courtesy of OutOfTheAshes)

MANY, MANY MORE PICS OF CHRIS PERFORMING WHEN YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW.




































23 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

Chris Brown did an excellent job with his tribute to Michael Jackson. It was great to see him back on stage. Sure he has gone through his trials and tribulations but…we all have. The only difference between Chris and most of us, is his celebrity status. While I am not a fan of a man putting his hands on a woman or abusive relationships, I am sure he has learned so much from this ordeal to last him a lifetime. Let us pray this is the case. However, the backlash for his actions with the situation with Rhianna has gone on long enough. There are bigger matters to contend with rather than wondering about the personal life of Chris Brown. He deserves a second chance just like everyone else. One a professional note, he belongs on the stage, with the support of his fans. Welcome back Chris. You have been missed and good luck.

Butterscotch Babe said...

i was upset when i realized it was chris brown – i mean i was pissed but he did a great job and then i thought about how we all have done things that we wish we could take back – i was his biggest critic and i didn’t think he was sorry – and i think the tribute was more for him than for entertaining us b/c he needed to be humbled – he needed to do exactly what he did tonight – show that he is sorry and he wants to change – he is very talented but had too much too soon – i hope he learned his lesson b/c he is talented

tallu said...

I think he did an INCREDIBLE job. I hope Chris realizes how much that would have mean to Michael and how much it meant to his family and how much it meant to me!!!! Chris Brown just created a whole new image for himself on the 2010 BET Awards.

FamuDiva said...

I think Chris Brown did justice to Michael last night on BET because last year’s tribute was a disgrace. I think he was sincere when he cried, because I cried along with him.

And I agree with SouthernGirl 100 per cent. I think Chris was probably feeling so many different emotions. He cried for Michael. He cried for finally getting the opportunity to give his tribute to Michael, some one he looked up to. He cried for all that he has been through and the acceptance of his fans. Yes, he is crying for that man in the mirror!!!

KappaChino said...

Best tribute ever. Imma even go out and say (and SGurl may not agree with me on this) but Chris tribute was better than Usher's! I hope Chris is able to get his career back on track. Who knows, maybe that will be Michael's gift to him from the grave! Shit like that happens you know.

SouthernGurl said...

KC I don't really think you can compare the two. The tributes are as different as night and day. You got to take into consideration that Ush's tribute was done at MJ's memorial. There was no dancing and stuff. Usher just sang one song, a slow song at that.

Last night, Chris went all out until he couldn't bear it anymore. He performed as if his life depended on it! One thing I can say about them both is that they were very emotional performances. That's the only similarity I can find.

Starcrossed777 said...

How cool was that Smooth Criminal part of the show?!!! I thought they were going to do the lean thingy. It still rocked. I never seen anything like that before.

Spazzdat said...

GET IT THRU YALL THICK SKULLS!!! THE SHIT WAS STAGED!

Big E. said...

Damn Southergirl everything you said in your article was the truth especially the Man In The Mirror parts That's deep yo.

Big E. said...

forgot to add that I think peeps gon be talking bout this for weeks maybe even months.

Rona said...

Southerngurl you have me rotl with your beige boy comments! lmao!! but you wasnt lying! lol I hope youll be posting more pictures and commentary from the awards show.

SouthernGurl said...

Hey Rona! I'll most definitely be posting more pics from the awards tomorrow. Chris' performance has been on my mind since I seen it so I just had to post this blog post up right away! Make sure you check back later on today.

FamuDiva said...

Who the hell is SPAZZDAT? It's always a Debbie Downer in the bunch. Have a seat please.

Jackie of all trades said...

Spazz did you see that ninja's face? Who you know cries all ugly like that? I thought the veins was going to bust out the side of his neck. Them was not no crocodile tears. Homeboy was damn near heaving. Chris cried becauze he finally got to pay his respects to his idol. He cried for all that he has been through and the acceptance of his fans.

Anonymous said...

Haters gonna hate. Loved the performance!! Chris is going to feel like a brand new person when he wakes up. Last night is going to seem like a dream to him.

Misty_H0ney said...

I think Chris Brown did an awesome job! Black men cannot be persecuted forever. Michael loved Chris Brown and although I love Usher, I think Chris Brown has always had an edge on dancing like Michael and actually looking a little more like the Bad era on Michael. Regardless of all that superficial stuff, Chris Brown truly loved Michael and this is why he was at the funeral despite there being little press about it. Did he outdo Janet’s Scream performance? I think he enhanced it in his own way. He, Usher and of course Janet are the only tributes that count to me. All others were nice, but were not on that Michael level in my opinion. Go Chris…and the real tears were so much like Michael in his heyday with She’s Out Of My Life!

Spazzdat said...

HE BEAT A CHICK TILL SHE WAS BLACK AND BLUE. THEM TEARS WERE CRYS OF GUILT. EVERYTHING WAS STAGED. HE AND HIS TEAM GOT THE REACTION THEY WANTED FROM YALL THICK SKULLS: SYMPATHY. YALL PATHETIC!!!!!

BITCH have a damn seat! said...

Hold up BITCH. He made ONE mistake. He took responsibility for it, apologized OVER and OVER again accepted his punishment (serving probabtion and doing comm. service and taking anger classes). Rihanna 4gave him (they were dating after the incident) and moved on with her life. God 4gave us for all of our sins and YOU can't give CB one BREAK? He didn't TOUCH YOU! You gon demon-ized him for the rest of his life? I guees you so damn perfect right? WRONG!!

Get the FUCK OVER IT!! Tears or NOT, give the man his PROPS for a job well done.

romatic said...

LMAO!!! U tell her, girl!!

Born Blessed said...

Wow at these comments! I just wanted to say that I love the moving image you have of the Smooth Criminal dance in your blog post. It's really cool to look at!

PEACHESfromthePEACHSTATE said...

A-1 PERFORMANCE! I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP SAYING HIS TEARS WAS A PUB. STUNT YOU DON'T GET THAT EMOTIONAL UNLESS SOMETHING IS WEIGHING HEAVY ON YOUR HEART. NO ONE BUT CHRIS KNOWS WHAT CAUSED THOSE TEARS. I HOPE THOSE TEARS CLEANSE ANY BURDENS HE FELT WAS WEIGHING HIM DOWN. CHRIS, LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR NO ONE BUT YOURSELF AND GOD. HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN TRULY JUDGE YOU. YOU ANSWER ONLY TO HIM. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECONDARY.

I'm Just Saying said...

I see spazz the azz ain't been back. Yall mustve hurt her feelings! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Chris Brown rocked it. I heard Jermain Jackson say that he was touched by the performance and that Chris deserves a second chance to prove himself. But that was jsut one Jackson opinion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails